Just felt like some ‘smoked’ flavoured grub. Bacon has been off the menu for a long time now – but flavours remain deep-seated in the mind, and have unconscious dialogue with the taste buds. This is an undetected method whereby memories filter through the conscious mind to the palette, and try to have their way. They never do in the literal sense – but creative thinking is very much part of my genetic code – and I put it to good use whenever I can. Yes, I am guilty of making bacon-flavoured, nutritious and delicious burgers, fit for a very hungry and discerning king indeed. They were consumed in minutes !!!
Makes 3 large Burgers
- 2 cups pre-cooked black-eyed beans (you may use tinned)
- a handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup wholemeal flour or gluten-free flour, such as rice flour
- 6 slices of vegan smoked bacon (I used Redwoods) – or other faux smoked bacon, 4 slices roughly chopped, the other 2 cut lengthways (keep those two and put them aside)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp curry
- salt to taste
- ½ cup corn or bran flakes, processed
- conventional golden bread crumbs for a light coating (I used Paxo)
Place all the ingredients in a food processor, starting off with the beans, and pulse 2 or 3 times – the mixture must be thick and on the dense side. Transfer ingredients into a large bowl, and refrigerate for an hour or so.
Remove from fridge, and mash the contents with the fingers. Then shape into 3 large burgers, get the slices of fake bacon and mould a few pieces on the sides of the burgers (as in the pic), making sure they hold. Then sprinkle some golden breadcrumbs on top and bottom of it.
Place in fridge for a further hour, then take out and fry in a little olive oil on both sides on a medium to low heat for around 5 minutes (you also have the option of frying until golden on both sides). Then bake in the oven for a further 15 minutes.
Serve with a crunchy green salad and a good old dressing – kids love this with ketchup ! Enjoy !!!
All recipes, content & design © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave a constructive comment !