Filo pastry, apples, pears, raisins and maple syrup come together to delight your palette. A truly mouthwatering delight – you must try this, it’s simple to mak,e and it will impress your guests. Serve with vegan cream, ice-cream or hot custard if you dare ! Enjoy !
1 Tbsp custard powder, mixed into a paste with 4 Tbsp (60 mL) water (I use Bird’s :
2 apples (peeled and sliced into quarters, then each quarter sliced into 3 pieces)
3 pears (cut more or less as per apple suggestion)
½ cup black raisins
¼ cup water
sugar, or stevia or other light coloured sweetener
270g (9½ oz) filo pastry (http://www.jusrol.co.uk/productDetail.aspx?ProductId=8 )
- You will need a Tarte Maison with loose base tin (mine was 14 x 5 inches), or an equivalent oven-proof sized dish – well greased.
- Place your apples, pears and raisins in a saucepan, add the water, cover and place on the heat for 20 minutes, or until the apples and pears are soft.
- Next, lower the heat, and stir in the custard paste until thickish. Remove, add the clove powder, and set aside for some minutes, until it cools slightly.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Roll out the pastry on a clean floured surface, then spread 4 to 5 sheets over the surface and edges of your tin (you may wish to brush some melted vegan margarine/butter on each sheet).
- Add the apple mixture on top of the pastry, and cover with the remaining filo pastry, and knobs of vegan margarine/butter. Then place in the oven marked until it’s golden all over.
- Then remove from oven and allow to cool. Dust with confectionery powder/icing sugar for serving. Delicious served warm or cold – don’t forget to drizzle the maple syrup on top before your 1st mouthful !
TIP : If serving cold, serve with hot custard. If serving hot, serve with cream and/or ice cream. The contrasting hot and cold will really add to the dynamic and charm of this wonderful dessert.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike