I don’t often make muffins or cupcakes (these are a cross version of both), cakes and such like, but when I do, I sin in the kitchen with delight, with much passion and enthusiasm. I have been meaning to create a cappuccino cake for many months – so I made the time to create these wonders !!! I am really quite excited by the taste of these little coffee dreams, so much so that, without further ado, I shall share them with YOU. Lucky !!
Makes 6 Muffins (plus residual for part of the icing)
125 g (4 oz) vegan margarine (I used Provamel brand)
½ cup (125g) stevia, or other dried sweetener of your choice (taste the batter and add according to preference)
1 Tbsp muscovado sugar, or molasses
1 tsp egg replacer (I used Orgram)
2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ cup (30g) ground/instant coffee of your choice – mix with 3 Tbsp hot water to dissolve in a cup, and set aside)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
6 x ½” pieces dark chocolate (you may use blocks, but cut them up with a sharp knife, and set aside)
¾ cup (180 mL) vegan milk (I used Alpro soya milk)
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Place your margarine, stevia (or other sweetener), and sugar in a bowl, and, using an electric whisk, beat until light and fluffy.
- Combine one at a time the egg replacer, flour, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda, in your batter mix, and whisk.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients, and continue to whisk for a minute or so.
- Meanwhile, grease your muffin liners, and place in your muffin tin. Taste for sweetness, then spoon the mixture into the muffin liners (bear in mind you will have some batter left – we need this for the frosting). Finally, add one piece of chocolate into the top centre of each muffin.
- Place in your preheated oven for 20 minutes – check that a skewer or small sharp object comes out clean, and then they’re ready.
½ cup of pre-soaked raw cashew nuts
¾ cup (180 mL) cold water
METHOD FOR FROSTING
- Process the cashews and water in your food blender until thick, rich, and creamy – this will take some minutes.
- Next, add the cashew cream to the remaining cake batter, and whisk with your electric hand whisk.
- Spoon into a jug, or serving container, and refrigerate for a few hours. Then it’s ready to spoon onto your muffins. Happiness Is 🙂 The Happy End.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike