This is the most amazing seafood dip ever. Tasty, ‘fishy’, the sea in your mouth, for all those vegans who miss the taste of fish – this one’s truly for you ! A great sandwich filler, perfect for picnics to come, party food, or just a weekday snack filler. Make it, enjoy it, and come back to me with your feedback. Thanks.
1 400g can cannellini beans, or 2 cups home-cooked cannellini beans
2 shallots or spring onions, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp red bell pepper, chopped
a handful of parsley or cilantro (I had a mixture of both in my fridge)
a pinch of dried mint
½ tsp sweetener of your choice
a pinch of Himalayan salt (if you can’t source it, The Spice Lab is a reputable brand)
1 to 2 strips kombu sea vegetable (depending on personal taste, and how ‘fishy’ you wish it to taste), or else 1 tsp powdered kelp
the juice of a large lemon
½ cup vegan mayonnaise (such as Spectrum Naturals or Vegenaise)
- Deal with the kombu first by washing it under running water and patting it dry.
- Then chop the kombu into small pieces, and place in a dry skillet on a medium-heat setting. Stir with a spoon until they become crisp.
- Grind the kombu pieces into a fine powder using a pestle and mortar, and set aside.
- Add the other ingredients to a food processor (solids first, then liquids bit by bit, as you process) and process until smooth. Add the kombu powder into the mix a little at a time, tasting every so often to make sure its to your exact taste preference.
- Spoon into a serving bowl, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, and decorate with thin strips of kombu. Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENT BOX AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENT ON THIS RECIPE. THANK YOU.