This is a wonderful fluffy yet rich quiche. Serve hot or cold all year round. The flavour is incredibly delicious with an emphasis on the crust, which is both gluten-free, soya free and original – delicious and more-ish at the same time, and as if that wasn’t enough, also healthy.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRUST
2 cups walnuts
1 and a half cups of cornflakes or g/f equivalent
2 cups gluten free oats
2 Tbsp vegan margarine
a pinch of salt
METHOD FOR THE CRUST
1. Prepare a 12 inch quiche tray – grease it, and make the dough.
2. Place the dried ingredients in a food processor, and process until your mix looks like thick wholemeal flour.
3. Add the margarine until the texture binds together, whilst you continue to process.
4. Add a little bit of water every few seconds, until your mix forms a ball in your processor – then it’s ready.
5. With clean hands, remove the ball and press it onto the baking quiche tray, distributing it as evenly as you can (you do not need a rolling pin for this, let your hands and fingers do the job). Take care at the edges, and be sure to press down to form a nice, even base. Set aside to make the filling.
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING
1 cup blanched almonds
1½ cups cashew nuts
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt (but adjust to taste)
1 cup grated vegan cheese of your choice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 cups unsweetened vegan milk of your choice
2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1 small leek, finely chopped
2 cups broccoli florets (if using frozen as I did, be sure to thaw them first)
½ tsp sweet paprika
METHOD FOR THE FILLING
- Place all the ingredients in your food processor, and process until they form a rich thick mix
- Place the leek, parsley and broccoli florets on top of the dough
- Pour the nut and cheese mix all around the base of the vegetables in the dish
- Garnish with pepper, and a sprinkle of sweet paprika
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/355°F, place your quiche in the bottom of the oven, and cook for 20-25 minutes. Then place on the top, and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, finishing off with grilling or browning the top for 5 minutes or so, until golden. Remove from oven, and allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to scroll down to the bottom of this page and leave us a constructive comment.
suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike