I have cooked all manner of potatoes in a variety of styles and cuisines – simply because I adore the humble potato – do what you will to it, for me, it’s impossible not to like it in all forms. So, I have for you my cheese potatoes au gratin – this being my vegan version, and more importantly easy to make and delicious – an epic recipe full of flavour and wonderful texture, that could be likened to a Cheesy Potato Lasagna. This dish is a time saver, and can be eaten alone or with your favourite stew, salad or greens. I used my own homemade vegan cheese and had some store bought one too.
3 large potatoes, microwaved in their skins until soft
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
¾ cup raw cashew nuts, rinsed
½ cup water
1½ cups vegan cheese
2 tsp tapioca starch
1½ Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/8 cup freshly chopped parsley
olive oil to drizzle
1 Tbsp vegan butter
- First, grease an oven dish.
- Then cut your cooked potatoes into approx ¼ inch slices (yes, in their skins), and spread them evenly across the base of the dish.
- Apply the next layer in the same way, and go make your cheese sauce.
- Place your nuts and water in a high speed blender, and process until smooth.
- Then add 1 cup of the cheese (leave the other half cup for garnishing), the tapioca starch, nutritional yeast, garlic cloves and vegan butter and process until smooth. Add half the parsley, and process only for a few seconds so that it appears finely chopped in the mixture.
- Pour the mixture (it should be a little thick) over the potatoes, garnish with the remaining vegan cheese, half of the remaining parsley, and place in a pre-heated oven at 200°C/390°F for half an hour.
- Allow your gratin to become golden brown, and then garnish with parsley and a drizzle or two of olive oil.
- Serve & Enjoy !
NOTE : – If it dries up a little too much for your liking, pierce some holes with a sharp knife, and add some unsweetened plant based milk.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to scroll down to the bottom of this page and leave us a constructive comment.
suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike