I was inspired whilst watching the different methods of making Cornish pasties in Cornwall, where many a person feels passionate about these wonderful pies (reminiscent of the pastizzi, the traditional local snack here in Malta. Here I have incorporated the idea of a Cornish pasty with vegan sausage, and a twist. The result, a succulent pasty to enjoy with a hot bowl of simple soup, or even a cup of tea. Ideal for the cold winter months, and easy, and not too time consuming to prepare.
2 medium sized potatoes, peeled, boiled and sliced
1 large green apple, peeled, and boiled in a little bit of water with ½ tsp agave syrup
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup (60 mL) vegan cream
1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
2 vegan sausages (I use Linda McCartney), cut into chunks
1 tsp curry powder
1 cup vegan burger (faux beef or chicken), broken down, or ½ cup soya mince, hydrated (I used Redwood chicken pieces)
10 oz (300 g) ready made vegan puff pastry
vegan cheese of your choice
salt & pepper to taste
- First peel and boil the potatoes, and once they are cooked, allow to cool, before cutting them into slices.
- Meanwhile, peel and boil the apple in a medium saucepan with very little water and ½ teaspoon of agave syrup.
- Then fry the onion and garlic in olive oil in a non-stick pan on a medium heat until transparent, stirring frequently.
- Now add a little salt, the vegan cream, and the garlic powder, and give a good mix, before removing from the heat, and setting aside.
- Next, fry the sausages separately, until they have some color. Add the curry powder, and once the sausages are fully cooked, remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, fry the vegan burger pieces (or vegan mince – again Linda McCartney Veggiemince hits the mark), until they have some color, and also set aside.
- Prepare a completely clean surface to roll the pastry on, and spread a thin layer of flour over it in readiness. Then open out your puff pastry, until you have a circle around 10 inches in diameter.
- The filling will consist of a number of layers (of the different ingredients) laid out lengthways across the middle of the pastry, leaving a clear inch or so of pastry at each end.
- Using a spoon, place one layer of sliced potato, one layer of apple, then the sausage pieces and vegan burger pieces or mince, then the very thick white onion sauce, followed by thick chunks of vegan cheese.
- Now close the pasty by folding over one side, then the other over the top of the first, and tucking in the ends, as you would an envelope. Place on a well greased non-stick oven dish, and bake in the oven on 400ºF (200ºC), for around 30 minutes or until golden and the pastry cooked.
All recipes, content & design © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave a constructive comment !