This recipe expresses my deep love of Eastern Cuisine, except that I just follow my heart in the kitchen with the ingredients. It’s not really a brown rice dessert. In fact, I only use short grain white rice, or Italian arborio rice, or even sushi rice, just 2 or 3 times a year – but I can justify using it, as this dessert is really a once or twice a year one – save it for celebrations.
Makes 4 portions in ramekin dishes.
¾ cup short grain pudding rice or white short grain rice, sushi will also do
3 or 4 drops natural red food colouring
2 to 3 Tbsp (30-45 mL) culinary Rose Water
3 Tbsp (45 mL) water
2 Tbsp (30 mL) agave syrup
¼ tsp crushed cardamom pods
1 Tbsp coconut oil (I used Biona)
1 Tbsp dessicated coconut
¾ cup mixed pistachio nuts and walnuts, processed
maple syrup, for drizzling
- First rinse, boil, and drain the rice – if in doubt, err on the overcooked side.
- Then crush the pistachio nuts and walnuts in your food processor until fairly small.
- Place the rice and food colouring in a large bowl, and mash them with a fork, as though you are mashing potatoes (alternatively you can use the plastic dough blade on your food processor). Ensure the food colouring is evenly mixed in, add mash in the remaining ingredients.
- Now pour some maple syrup in the base of the ramekin dishes, and add a teaspoon of the mixed nuts.
- Next, spoon in around 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture, and level the top with the base of your spoon – repeat this with the other ramekins.
- Finally, distribute the nuts on top of the dessert.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving. Add more maple syrup if you wish.
All recipes, content & design © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave a constructive comment !