These truffles are inspired by the fantastic response I got to my vegan ‘Bounty’ Bar (http://www.mouthwateringvegan.com/2012/04/15/bountiful-coconut-chocolate-bar/). As you may have noticed from my blog, I rather love the combination of chocolate and orange – and coconut. Did I say I love truffles too ?? Well, these truffles are wonderfully delicious and reek of edge, zest, tanginess and orange dark chocolate – so, you see, it does not get better than this. Hope you enjoy them – the word is INDULGE !
1 cup desiccated/shredded coconut
½ tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
the juice of a large orange
1½ Tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
3 Tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup, or sweetener of your choice
1 Tbsp (45mL) coconut oil
1 heaped tsp cornstarch (cornflour)
100g dark vegan chocolate, cut into pieces
4 drops orange oil
zest of a large orange
a pinch of salt
- Place the coconuts, orange zest, cardamom in a bowl, and mix.
- Next, place the orange and lemon juice in a small separate bowl, add the maple syrup and 2 drops of the orange oil, and mix well.
- Meanwhile, place the cornstarch in a cup, and add 4 tablespoons of the orange liquid mixture into the cup, and mix very well so that it totally blends. Now add it back to the remaining orange mix, and stir well, mix the coconut oil in addition to this.
- Place in a small saucepan, and heat up on a low heat mixing all the time until it thickens. Remove from the heat, and allow 10-15 minutes for it to cool down slightly.
- Next, make a well in the dried coconut mix in the bowl with your fingers, and pour this thick orange syrup into it.
- Using a metal spoon, mix the lot – it should be nice and thick. Then just roll it into a ball, and wrap in cling film (food plastic), and place in your freezer for around half an hour (or a little less).
- Meanwhile, heat your chocolate, adding the salt and 2 remaining drops of orange oil into it. Use the bain-marie method for best results – i.e. place these ingredients in a small heat-proof bowl, then place the bowl in a saucepan just under ½ full with hot water. Heat slowly until it melts – mixing with a small teaspoon from time to time. The process will only take a few minutes.
- After your 25-30 minutes have passed, take the orange and coconut filling out of the freezer, and roll it into approx 14-15 balls.
- Now, using a teaspoon, dip each ball very carefully into your chocolate. Then place each one onto a sheet of greaseproof paper, which should be placed on a flat surface.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before you taste. And Enjoy !!!
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike