A rich yet light pancake. I have made many versions, but this is by far the best – it’s got a crunch about it, it’s got a beautiful golden colour to it, it’s light in texture, yet rich in flavour, it’s better than egg pancakes I used to make and I am so excited to introduce you to the best vegan pancakes around (I have included a gluten free recipe here too – by substituting the flours below). Enjoy !
Tip/Note:- consistency preference of pancakes is personal, so add more milk if you wish – and always try a small baby pancake test first, the size of a tablespoon to check your own preference. The ones in this recipe make for a thick-ish batter, but the consistency of the resultant cooked pancake in this recipe is awesome.
Makes 6 to 8 pancakes (depending on the size you make them)
INGREDIENTS FOR PANCAKES
150g (5.3 oz) self raising flour
150g (5.3 oz) plain unbleached flour
a pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
400ml soya milk, or other vegan milk of your choice – (use more if necessary to get the consistency that you prefer)
2 Tbsp stevia, or other sweetener
50 ml melted coconut oil
Also some extra coconut oil (around a teaspoon) for frying them
Gluten Free Pancakes :-
For a Gluten Free Version substitute the above flours with the following ones and continue to follow the recipe as normal :-
METHOD FOR PANCAKES
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the pancakes, and heat a little (extra) coconut oil in a large frying pan.
- Using a soup ladle, pour in some of the batter, and swirl it around so that it evens out – it’s up to you what size to make.
- Check the pancake edges – once you see them golden and set, carefully flip it on to the other side. Leave it go golden for a minute or two, and then remove.
- Serve immediately, or store one on top of the other with greaseproof paper in between each one – you may re-heat them slightly in a hot oven before serving the topping.
- Top with maple syrup, a dollop of coconut cream, and a cappuccino cream.
INGREDIENTS FOR CAPPUCCINO CREAM
1 cup pre-soaked raw cashews, drained
1 cup (250 mL) cold water
2 tsp ground coffee
1 Tbsp molasses, or other sweetener of your choice.
- Place the nuts and the water in a blender, and blend until totally smooth. Then add the remaining ingredients, and whisk for a minute or two.
- Taste for sweetness, then pour into a pouring jug, and pour a circle or two of it on your hot pancake.
- Spoon a dollop of coconut cream on the top and drizzle on the maple syrup.
- Serve and Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike