This dish is really quite simple to make, extraordinarily delicious, daring, and real fun. The aromas will be wonderful, and the zest and tangy sweetness from the marmalade marry very well with the awaiting sundried tomatoes. A magic combo of ingredients, both contrasting and complementary at the same time. Your buds will love you after this.
¾ cup pearl parley
¾ cup short grain brown rice
1½ Tbsp tomato paste
4 to 5 sun-dried tomato halves, sliced lengthways
- Wash and boil the rice and barley together, drain, and set aside.
- Then add a little olive oil in a frying pan, and cook the tomato paste for a couple of minutes, mixing whilst you do so.
- Next, add the sliced sun-dried tomatoes, and continue to mix.
- Add your rice and barley, and stir until all the flavours have merged well.
olive oil for frying
1 zucchini, chopped
6 to 8 mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp marmalade (I used a lemon one)
flax seeds, for garnishing
flat leaf parsley, chopped, for garnishing
- Heat a little oil in a skillet pan, and fry your veggies, turning them over every so often, so that they acquire some colour.
- Then spoon in the marmalade, and allow the veggies to caramelize in it for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add these caramelized veggies to the rice in the pan, and mix it all up. Garnish with parsley and flax seeds, and serve. I went the extra mile, and added a dollop of marmalade to the centre of the dish to accentuate the taste further. Oh, did we love this one !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike