If you love lemon desserts then there is no question you will love these babies of mine. Created with instant zest, these slices will bring a smile to the dullest of moods. Great with a cup of Earl Grey to round off a Sunday afternoon tea. Or as a dessert to round off a light meal. Fairly easy too make too. I think they make a great gift too, and would be great for potlucks – basically these are ideal for almost any occasion, so you can’t go wrong. Impossible to imagine they are vegan, that much is true – the rest, I think I’ll leave you judge for yourself. However, they are so moreish, they won’t last long once you’ve made them. I would suggest refrigerating them for a few hours before eating, or wait for the next day for best results ! Enjoy !
NOTE : If you prefer to eat healthy desserts all the time, then this is not for you. This is what I term as an occasional treat dessert – rich, yummy, and happy to be lemon !
Serves around 16-18 slices, depending on portion size
INGREDIENTS FOR BASE
For the base you will need :
2 cups (8 oz) all purpose flour (I confess I used 1 cup normal, as I ran out of this, and 1 cup all purpose white gluten free flour)
1 cup (8 oz) vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance or other of your choice (such as coconut oil extra virgin or other up to you)
¼ tsp salt
½ cup (4 oz) sugar, or stevia or coconut sugar (you choose what you prefer)
- Place the above ingredients in a large bowl, and whisk until small crumbs are formed
- Next, heat up your oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
- Using clean hands, firmly press the mixture into a greased baking tin (mine was 7½ x 13 inches – 19 x 33 cm) with your palms, doing your best to even it out. Then place it in your hot oven until slightly golden (around 15-20 minutes). Meanwhile, you can make your filling.
INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON FILLING
1 1/8 cups plain sugar (or stevia or other dried sweetener of your choice) – I rarely use white sugar, but this time I did because I was out of stevia, and it’s important not to use brown sugar because of the colour.
¼ cup plain flour
1 350g (12½ oz) pack firm silken tofu (I suggest Mori-Nu – UK, & US)
¼ tsp turmeric (for the colour, don’t leave it out)
the juice of 2-3 large freshly squeezed lemons, plus the zest of 1 lemon
1 heaped Tbsp egg replacer (I used Orgran – UK: or Ener-G – US)
just under 1/8 cup vegan milk of your choice (Alpro is my preference)
icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar) for garnishing (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor, and process until thick but smooth.
- Now go check on your base – when it’s golden and firm, it’s ready. Remove from oven, and allow it to cool down slightly for 15 minutes or so.
- Next, pour on the lemon filling, making sure it is even on top. Then place in your hot oven again, for a further 20 minutes or so.
- It may not be 100% firm when it’s ready, but it will solidify properly once it’s cooled down, and then refrigerated.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving, or over-night (if you can wait that long !). Sprinkle some more zest on the top, and dust with icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar) for that extra enticing look. Good luck, happy eating and Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010