This dish will bring tears of joy to your eyes ! Well, if not, it will certainly make an impression ! I first tasted this from my adopted aunt many years ago. She was half English and half Flemish – she made this dish with very fine pasta, then lavished it with lots, and I mean lots and lots, of smotherings of cheese (Gruyere & Emmenthal), then butter, and then tomatoes. She then baked it until totally golden, and we immediately entered heaven. Kids love this, and it’s very easy to make, once you have the cheese done. I used a combination of my own ‘cheddar’ and ‘mozzarella’ from my ‘Mouthwatering Vegan‘ cookbook.
Serve with a green herbed salad.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHEESE SAUCE
1 cups (310 mL) soya milk, or other non-sweetened milk)
1 Tbsp purpose plain flour (for a very thicker sauce, use 1 Tbsp) – see links above for gluten free flour
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast (available in the US from here, and in the UK from here)
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp fine garlic granules
salt (don’t omit)
a knob of vegan butter
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp vegetable stock powder or granules (try Kallo – from here in the US, and here in the UK)
a little water if needed
200g angel hair (or cappellini) pasta, cooked, rinsed with cold water, and set aside
1 Tbsp vegan margarine
2 Tbsp olive oil
Himalayan salt to taste (available in the US from here, and in the UK from here)
4 cups grated vegan cheese of your choice (sorry it’s obligatory for this dish)
1 ‘beefsteak’ tomato chopped
extra grated vegan cheese for topping
- First, grease a suitable oven-dish, and preheat your oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Then make the cheese sauce. Place all the ingredients in a ‘milk’ pan, and whisk.
- Heat the mixture up, mixing virtually non-stop, until you have a thickish consistency.
- Lower the heat, and continue cooking for a further minute or so.
- Now mix the sauce and the angel hair pasta together in a large mixing bowl, add in the grated cheese, vegan margarine, olive oil and salt, and continue to mix.
- Spoon into your pre-greased dish, and place your sliced tomatoes on top. Add some more cheese on top, and place in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Then increase temperature to 400ºF (200ºC), and leave in oven until beautifully golden on top.
- Allow to cool for around 10 minutes before cutting, serve and Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010