I don’t wish to blow my own trumpet, but this is the best spaghetti with vegan balls I have ever tasted – in fact my husband said it’s the best he has ever had, both in vegan and non-vegan cuisine. A masterpiece in taste, texture, aroma, colour and mouth-feel. Just make it and see for yourself ! Enjoy !
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MEATBALLS
2 slices of brown bread (whizzed into breadcrumbs)
1½ cups vegan mince (ground crumble)
4 vegan sausages
2 large cloves garlic
a little salt
2 medium sized white onions, roughly chopped
2 to 3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp curry powder
½ tsp oregano
¼ tsp chilli powder (optional)
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion, chopped
¼ tsp garlic granules
2 medium sized fresh tomatoes
1 tin of tomato pulp
¼ cup dry white wine
3 Tbsp tomato puree/paste
2 bay leaves
1 fresh chilli
1 romano (bell) red pepper (de-seeded and washed)
2 Tbsp olive oil
METHOD FOR THE BALLS
- Having processed your bread, place it in a bowl and set aside.
- Now, place the sausages and burgers in your food processor, and process for 15 seconds (yes, go ahead and just count 15). Then add the onions and garlic, as well as the remaining ingredients from the balls list (including the breadcrumbs). Process until it all comes together – around 15-20 seconds should do the trick as we are not after a ‘spread like’ consistency, but rather a normal mince one, with good texture and colour.
- Now, using clean hands, form into balls and refrigerate for a half hour, then fry until golden, and set aside whilst you assemble your sauce.
- Place all your sauce ingredients in your liquidizer, except for the bay leaves, and process. Then pour it into a saucepan, add the bay leaves to the sauce, and place on a low heat. Allow to simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened. This will take an hour or longer, but don’t worry. At first, allow it simmer with the lid on, then the rest of the time remove it so that it can nicely reduce. Taste it and season accordingly. It should have a very rich taste – both in sweetness and saltiness.
- Finally, add your meatballs into the sauce for a few minutes, before serving up with your favourite spaghetti, and Enjoy ! MMMMMmmmm, out of this world !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010