These taste great. Serve with oven baked veggies, courgettes, aubergines, tomatoes and sweet potatoes – alongside a green herb fresh salad (use coriander/cilantro and basil). For an all gluten-free option use pre-cooked short grain brown rice.
Makes around 4 burgers
2 cups cooked pearl barley
2 beetroot, peeled and cooked (don’t overcook it), then when cooled, grate (drain if needed) and set aside
1½ cups sugar-free pineapple, roughly chopped
1 tin red kidney beans
1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
½ tsp curry powder
¼ tsp asafoetida optional
3 Tbsp buckwheat flour or chickpea flour
1 tsp Orgran egg replacer or other egg replacer of your choice
½ tsp guar gum (available in the US from here, or in the UK from here) or 1 cup of dried breadcrumbs
- Place the onion in a food processor and process until small, then add half the pearl barley and half of the kidney beans along with the salt, curry, egg replacer, flour, spices, and half the pineapple, and process for a few seconds, don’t over process as you don’t want to be left with a mash, so leave some texture there.
- Then add the remaining half of the barley, kidney beans and pineapple, and pulse for a few seconds, so that they only slightly break down. Now gently stir in your grated beetroot.
- Place in the fridge for a few hours.
- When ready, heat some oil in a non-stick pan, then using a large cooking spoon, spoon the mixture in portions into the hot olive oil, and fry in a non-stick pan on both sides.
- Then keep hot in the oven – you must fry first though, otherwise they won’t solidify enough.
- Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
Beets are in the list of ingredients, but not in the instructions. Do you add them all in at once to the processor or set some aside? Thanks.
Hi John, have added the beetroot in the recipe instructions. Hope you enjoy them !
Hi Miram, thanks for sharing your recipe on beet burger. Beet is so good for you, however, there are not many popular recipes available to use beets with. I remember my mom used to make the best beet salad. Yum!
So glad to find more great recipes with beets!
Nancy Hi – let me know how it goes as and when ! I love beets very much and use them for juicing and salads too ! 🙂
would this recipe for the beat burger, also be good on its own as a loaf or a roast?
Hi Mordy, I suppose it could, but I cannot guarantee it will cut as nice as a loaf.
Looks like tasty and healthy burger.I will definitely give it a try myself and add recipe on my blog if don’t mind.
Sure thing as long as you give a reference link to my blog, that’s no problem ! Enjoy !