These taste great. Serve with oven baked veggies, courgettes, aubergines, tomatoes and sweet potatoes – alongside a green herb fresh salad (use coriander/cilantro and basil). For an all gluten-free option use pre-cooked short grain brown rice.
Makes around 4 burgers
2 cups cooked pearl barley
2 beetroot, peeled and cooked (don’t overcook it), then when cooled, grate (drain if needed) and set aside
1½ cups sugar-free pineapple, roughly chopped
1 tin red kidney beans
1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
½ tsp curry powder
3 Tbsp buckwheat flour
- Place the onion in a food processor and process until small, then add half the pearl barley and half of the kidney beans along with the salt, curry, egg replacer, flour, spices, and half the pineapple, and process until almost smooth.
- Then add the remaining half of the barley, kidney beans and pineapple, and pulse for a few seconds, so that they only slightly break down. Now gently stir in your grated beetroot.
- Place in the fridge for a few hours.
- When ready, heat some oil in a non-stick pan, then using a large cooking spoon, spoon the mixture in portions into the hot olive oil, and fry in a non-stick pan on both sides.
- Then keep hot in the oven – you must fry first though, otherwise they won’t solidify.
- Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010