I won’t say much about this cake, other than that it’s heavenly, moist, delicious, scrumptious, awesome, unique, more-ish, and lots more. I made this last week. I fancied a carrot cake, but I wanted to put a load more oomph into it. Quite SUB-LIME in every sense of the word was the result ! Please treat yourself to this magnificent tasting cake and then let me know what your taste buds have to say for themselves !
- 1¼ cups plain white unbleached flour
- 1 cup brown wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup light brown soft cane sugar
- 3 tsp Orgran (or other egg substitute, equivalent to 3 eggs). Mix into a paste according to the instructions – in the case of Orgran, mix 3 tsp with 6 tbsps water into a paste in a large cup.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 heaped tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 cups of freshly grated carrots (make sure they are sweet)
- 1 cup desiccated coconuts
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
Preheat your oven to 175% (350 F). Now mix the dried ingredients except for the sugar (salt, flour, baking powder, baking soda, baking powder, desiccated coconut, cinnamon & mixed spice) in a medium sized plastic bowl.
Next, having already prepared the egg replacer paste, place it in a separate bowl with half the sugar and the vanilla essence, and begin whisking with and electric whisk. Then add in half the oil, continue to whisk for a few moments, and then add the rest of the sugar and oil, and continue whisking until you have a nice smooth, thick batter.
Add in the dried ingredients and whisk again. Finally add the grated carrot, ginger, sultanas and nuts. Whisk for a further minute, and then turn into a greased tin (preferably lined with grease-proof paper), and place in the hot oven for ¾ hour, making sure that when you insert a toothpick in the cake, it comes out clean.
FOR THE MAGICAL FROSTING
- 2 tubs (225 grams/8oz each) Tofutti (or other vegan cream cheese equivalent)
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 4 tbsps icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 heaped teaspoon set coconut oil (I used biona organic)
- ½ a fresh lime, squeezed
To make the frosting, whip the Tofutti cream cheese for a few seconds, then add in the agave syrup, coconut oil, icing sugar and lime juice, and continue beating until smooth and slightly fluffy (don’t over-process). Spoon into a glass bowl and refrigerate for an hour or so, and only frost the cake once it has totally cooled down. Decorate the cake whichever way you fancy – however the zest of your lime would be apt. Oh heavens, so sweet, enjoy !!!
Dessert plate supplied by EVTHOKIA http://www.evthokia.co.uk/
All recipes, content & design © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave a constructive comment !