This is a fast and easy to make Chowder – I made it because it was a little cold this evening, and I fancied something a little different. This is the best vegetable-based chowder ever, and will be a staple amongst those wishing to serve something very flavourful and comforting – ideal towards the end of the winter – to mark the end of it, and the beginning of the new season ahead. My last winter soup for 2013, but oh so very, very special ! Enjoy !
1¼ cups pre-soaked raw cashew nuts (I soaked them overnight)
3 cups (750 mL) non-dairy unsweetened milk
1 tsp vegetable stock powder, or granules (Kallo or other)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp turmeric powder
3 Tbsp grated vegan cheese of your choice
salt to taste
1 cup (250 mL) water
¼ cup flat leaf fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
¾ cup sweetcorn
1 leek, chopped
1 large carrot, sliced
1 portobello mushroom, cut into medium to small pieces
2 shallots, chopped
extra flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Firstly, place your chopped leeks and carrot in a steamer, steam until tender, and set aside.
- Next, heat up a little olive oil in the saucepan you are going to use for the soup, and gently fry the shallots and the mushroom, stirring frequently until it sweats nicely and tenderizes a little.
- Now in a food processor, process the nuts and all the ingredients (except for the parsley), with half the liquids until very smooth. Then add the remaining liquid and the parsley, and process for another half minute.
- Finally, pour this mixture in with the mushroom and shallots in the saucepan, add your carrots and leeks to this mixture, and spoon in the sweetcorn.
- Heat up gently, garnish with the finely chopped parsley, and serve immediately with some crunchy warm bread. Oh the comfort and taste !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENT BOX AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENT ON THIS RECIPE. THANK YOU.