This dish is super rich, unique and delicious. It’s also an impressive dish that is easy to make. Make a mixed lettuce salad and a slightly sweetened balsamic vinegar dressing to go with it – I used a little maple syrup in the dressing which danced beautifully with the lasagna’s creamy juices – they just made magic together. Enjoy and please comment on my blog !
7 lasagne sheets (I used spelt lasagna – important to use the ‘no need to pre-cook’ variety)
2 cups frozen spinach, thawed, or the equivalent in fresh cooked
*1 cup pre-soaked raw cashew nuts
*2 cups (500 mL) water
* should you not wish to use the nuts and water you may use 2 cups of soya cream instead
1 tsp maple syrup
2 cups mixed mushrooms, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 spring onion (scallion), finely chopped
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast or finely grated cheese
2 cups grated vegan cheese of your choice (vegan mozzarella is best if possible)
½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
2 to 3 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (for garnishing)
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp French’s mustard
1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened vegan milk of your choice (use a little less if you are using the soya cream option as opposed to the cashew nuts and water)
extra grated vegan cheese for the base
- Using your food processor, process the cashew nuts, nutritional yeast, maple syrup, and water until totally smooth. Skip this if you are using soya cream instead.
- Meanwhile, heat up some olive oil, and fry your scallions and garlic for a minute or two, stirring all the time.
- Then throw in your mushrooms, and allow to cook for a further few minutes until well cooked, and a little wilted from the heat.
- Next, pour in your cashew cream or soya cream, add the chilli powder, salt and mustard, mix and allow to simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Add in your grated cheese, and if needs be, add a very little amount of water (less if you are using soya cream) every now and then if the sauce over-thickens.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC), and grease an oven-proof dish (mine measured 9½” x 6½” x 2”)
- Then place three sheets of the lasagna across the base of the dish, and pour in half the sauce. Then add half of the spinach, distributing as evenly as possible.
- Repeat the above process, but also use 90 percent of the cream sauce. You will then be left with one sheet of lasagna – break it up and add it here and there, and then pour the little remaining sauce over it.
- Add more cheese on top if you wish, and then add half the parsley, followed by a cup of vegan milk poured around the 4 edges of your dish.
- Finally, drizzle some olive oil on top and place in your pre-heated oven until golden on top (around 30-40 minutes).
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle on some more freshly chopped parsley before serving. Bon Appétit !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENT BOX AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENT ON THIS RECIPE. THANK YOU.