This is the best vegan cauliflower cheese in the universe – no joke, it’s too good to be true, and extra moreish. You can also use a little mustard, and dip your cauliflower in it (I love Frenchs American Classic) – I will leave you be the judge of these. Feel free to substitute broccoli instead of cauliflower. Serve with your favourite salad, or as an accompaniment for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or a special dinner.
INGREDIENTS FOR ‘CHEESE’ SAUCE
2 cups (625 mL) soya milk, or other non-sweetened milk
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp fine garlic granules
salt (don’t omit)
a knob of vegan butter
¼ tsp turmeric powder
a little water if needed
1 cauliflower, cut into florets
chives, chopped, for garnishing
extra olive oil
- First steam your cauliflower until tender, but be careful not to overcook.
- Then place the cauliflower in a dish, and set aside whilst you make your ‘cheese’ sauce.
- Preheat your oven to 440ºF (225ºC).
- Place all the ‘cheese’ sauce ingredients in a ‘milk’ pan and whisk.
- Heat the mixture up, mixing virtually non-stop, until you have a thickish consistency.
- Lower the heat, and continue cooking for a further minute or so.
- Take off the heat, and pour your sauce over the cooked cauliflower, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with chives, and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the dish is golden on top.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010