Imagine a succulent savoury log, infused with herbs and a touch of spice – healthy, decadent, mouthwatering ! Yes, this is this Christmas’s great main course for you. I created this, together with a wonderful onion gravy, to enjoy and bring the spirit of Christmas to your table. I do hope you enjoy this with my mapled roasted parsnips, carrots and potatoes, and of course, any green that takes your fancy – Brussels, etc. Be Merry, and Enjoy !
Jus-Rol puff pastry is vegan, and we love it. You need a 500 gram pack for this, allow it to thaw, and then roll your filling according to the method below.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE NUT STUFFING
200g roasted hazelnuts
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 to 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 to 2 tsp fresh rosemary
2 to 3 sage leaves, or ½ tsp dried sage
2 Tbsp breadcrumbs (I used Paxo for convenience – available in the US from here, and the UK from here)
Himalayan salt to taste (from here in the US, or here in the UK)
- Place the onions, garlic, and herbs in the processor, and process until small pieces form. Next, add the nuts, and pulse until small.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and whizz for 10-20 seconds. You should be left with a nice crumble mix, everything broken down into tiny pieces, but not crushed to a pulp.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MUSHROOM & CURRIED LENTIL STUFFING
extra virgin olive oil
around 14-16 mushrooms, finely chopped
1 medium sized white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup puy lentils, pre-boiled until cooked, then drained and set aside
1½ Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp smoked paprika (available in the US from here, and the UK from here)
1 tsp hot curry powder (if you don’t like it, hot use mild curry and use ½ tsp, just for a touch of flavour)
1/8 tsp asafoetida (from here in the US, and here in the UK)
Himalayan salt to taste
2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1/8 cup (30 ml) water
a little vegan milk, for brushing on the pastry
METHOD FOR THE LENTIL STUFFING
- In a large pan, fry the onions and garlic, then add the tomato paste and all the spices.
- Mix well, then stir in the mushrooms, and allow them to yield their juices.
- When they are cooked, add the remaining ingredients, and allow to cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Taste for salt, and allow to cool down before stuffing the pastry – the mixture should be no more than lukewarm.
- First, preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Then line a medium-sized oven-proof tray from end to end with greaseproof paper, and then grease it just the same.
- Place your thawed pastry sheets on a clean, floured surface, and roll the pastry sheets together in such a way that you create one sheet approximately 10 by 7 inches.
- Now spoon the two stuffing mixtures onto the pastry sheet, one in front of the other (see picture above – you are looking at the pastry laid out before you roll it away from you. Once you have done this, your two fillings will be distributed evenly).
- Now start slowly rolling the mixture away from you, until you reach the end. You might feel you need an extra hand, so if anybody is around at home, do not hesitate to give a shout. No panic, if any bits fall out of the side, just gently finger them back into place. Then secure the folded over pastry in place using toothpicks.
- Wash your hands at this point, and dry them thoroughly. Brush the roulade with vegan milk, then make surface cuts at half inch intervals on the surface of the dough, but don’t put any weight on it whilst you do this. These will be your markers for each slice once cooked.
- Carefully lift the roulade onto your oven dish using 2 large metal spatulas (again some help might be useful at this latter stage).
- Then place in your hot oven until it turns golden – around 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and assemble any accompanying veggies in another serving dish – but I advise that if you’re having roast potatoes, they should be nice and crunchy. Or you may prefer plain new potatoes – whatever takes your fancy. Bon Appétit and Seasons Greetings !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENT BOX AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENT ON THIS RECIPE. THANK YOU.