Palak Paneer is one of my favourite curries, and I love varying the spices, and working to create excellence each and every time. This time I particularly enjoyed playing around with the spices. The result – a Heavenly palak paneer with loads of flavour, and a nice bite. Serve with basmati rice, chopped fresh mango (I would almost go as far as to say it’s obligatory to do so), and crispy chilli popadoms.
See my recipe for Paneer on my YouTube channel – you can prepare this a day in advance. If not, by all means use tofu cut into cubes, but my vegan paneer is infinitely better in taste, and as real as the dairy one.
1 medium sized white onion, roughly chopped
1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 red chilli, chopped (seeds and all)
3-4 Tbsp olive oil, or refined coconut oil
¾ tsp fenugreek
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp coriander
¼ tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp asafoetida
¾ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp cayenne pepper
¾ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp agave nectar
¼ tsp panch puren (I add it to many of my curries as I find it goes with most, and imparts a unique and more-ish flavour)
3-4 cups frozen spinach squares, thawed – process the spinach and set aside
½ cup cashew nuts and ¾ cups water, processed into a milk
4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
250g vegan paneer (see my recipe), chopped into squares
extra chopped coriander for garnishing
- Process your onion, garlic, ginger and chilli, until they become small pieces to the eye.
- Heat up your oil and fry this mixture.
- Next, add the tomatoes and all the spices, mix thoroughly for a few minutes.
- Now add the remaining ingredients, except for the cashew milk, and only half of the spinach – stir well and cook for a further 15 minutes to be sure all the spices consolidate with each other.
- Meanwhile, process the cashew milk and the other half of the spinach together, and slowly start pouring a little bit of it in the saucepan, every 5 minutes or so.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, then add the paneer squares (tofu squares will do if you have not made the paneer, but paneer is infinitely better in taste and texture).
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010