Being a Greek Cypriot in the main, I love Cypriot food. This savoury cake is a treasure, because it can be eaten as a snack, or it can be served with a stew or soup. Either way, you’er going to love it. It’s also great for a picnic. This savoury delight tastes much better the next day, once it is 100% cooled down and rested. I like to make this the night before I intend to serve it. It’s also a great salad accompaniment, and has the most delightful texture.
3 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1¼ cups (250g) salty black dried olives, pitted and chopped
½ cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
a handful of dill, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup sunflower oil
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice
the zest of an orange or lemon
1 Tbsp dried mint
olive oil for drizzling on top
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C / 355°F.
- Grease a 9 by 5 inch pan, and then cut greaseproof paper pieces to line around the edge and base of your pan.
- Place the dried ingredients in a large glass mixing bowl, and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Place the wet ingredients (including the onions, garlic, olives and chopped herbs) in another bowl, and mix well.
- Now make an indentation in the flour mix, pour in half the wet mixture, and incorporate it into the flour mix. Gently stir it well, then add the other half, and stir until well combined.
- Spoon in your mixture, and flatten on the top with a spatula. Now drizzle on some olive oil and place in your pre-heated oven for an hour. Take it out after 50 minutes and check it with a thin sharp knife – when inserted, if it comes out clean, your cake should be golden on top. Then switch your oven off, take your cake out.
Allow your savoury cake to rest and cool for half an hour. Either serve from the dish, or up-turn it onto a wire rack and allow to totally cool. Place it in a Tupperware container, and consume within 1-3 days.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENT BOX AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENT ON THIS RECIPE. THANK YOU.