A quick, easy recipe to prepare that looks impressive and tastes heavenly – juicy mushrooms, delicious sliced tomatoes and oozing that irresistible garlic flavour that marries so well with marjoram. These may be served as is, with a few bites of ciabatta and olive oil, or as a small main after some soup. Or if it’s spring or summer, a green herb salad on the side would accompany this perfectly. Let’s jump in there.
3 portobello mushrooms
1 jar of pesto, or 1 cup of homemade pesto (see my recipe here – omit the chillies)
1 cup grated vegan cheese of your choice
3 succulent tomatoes, sliced
½ tsp garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic, finely chopped
extra virgin olive oil
a dusting of smoked paprika (optional)
8 or so black olives
1 Tbsp finely grated vegan parmesan (optional, as I make my own, you may use some nutritional yeast if you wish instead)
fresh marjoram, for garnishing
- Preheat your oven to 160ºC (320ºF ).
- Wash and dry the mushrooms, by patting them dry with some paper kitchen towel.
- Grease a shallow metal oven dish that fits all 3 Portobellos. Then spoon on the pesto, distributing it evenly between the 3 mushrooms. Do the same with your grated cheese. Then add the garlic powder (or finely chopped fresh garlic).
- Now gently place the sliced tomatoes on top, and drizzle on the olive oil. Sprinkle on the grated vegan ‘Parmesan’ (or equivalent), together with half the marjoram, and place in your hot oven for half an hour, or until the mushrooms are properly cooked.
- Then when ready, garnish with the olives, the rest of the marjoram, and a small drizzle of olive oil. Serve and Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell www.mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENT BOX AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENT ON THIS RECIPE. THANK YOU.