I have been making, baking, roasting and cooking potatoes for decades, always seeking ways in which to perfect this humble vegetable. And really, if you’re going to eat potato, my advise in two words is ‘don’t compromise’. These potatoes have been chopped into bite size squares, massaged in a simple but incredible marinade, and then roasted in a medium oven, and finished off under the grill. The result a very tender creamy ‘buttery’ potato with the most satisfying of crispy crunches which bursts into the most eloquent of dynamic flavours. I won’t say more, because it’s a potato you must try to know it’s immoral magic ! I make no apology for my ingredients, other than to say, I wouldn’t dream of making these any other way. Omit one ingredient, and it won’t quite be the same.
2 or 3 large white roasting potatoes peeled and cut into squares
6 Tbsp cold pressed olive oil
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp liquid smoke
1½ Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp agave nectar
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Ketchup
1 tsp ground smoked paprika
- Heat your oven to 250 degrees celsius/485 degrees farenheit.
- Place the marinade ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Then spoon into a very large bowl, and add all your chopped potatoes and massage the mixture for 2 minutes, making sure they are all smothered with the marinade.
- Next, line a shallow roasting tin carefully place the potatoes on top, distributing them well. Roast them until they are soft, I can’t say how long that will take as this depends upon the quality of your potatoes, the size you have cut them as well as your own personal oven capacity, but you’ll know when they’re done – just poke a sharp knife in and try one if unsure.
- Turn them around and then continue roasting for a further 15 minutes and place under a low grill until totally golden, crunchy and insanely irresistible !
- Garnish and serve.
Crunch, Munch & enjoy !!!